I’m proud to provide Birth services to families in the Los Angeles area. If you’re interested in Birth support and how it would be beneficial to you, please use the button below to get started with a FREE Consultation.
What is a Birth Doula?
A doula, also known as a birth companion or post-birth supporter, is a non-medical person who assists a person before, during, or after childbirth, as well as her spouse and family, by providing physical assistance and emotional support. The provision of doula services with continuous support during labor is associated with improved maternal and fetal health and a variety of other benefits, including lower risk of induction and interventions and less need for pain relief.
Benefits of Birth Doula Services
The benefits of doula care are particularly significant when continuous support is provided by someone who is not there as family/friend or as medical staff. Additionally, a doula is sometimes hired to work with families beyond the postpartum stages, providing continued physical and emotional support, for as long as needed. Other studies have shown that having a doula as a member of the birth team decreases the overall cesarean rate by 50%, the length of labor by 25%, the use of oxytocin by 40%, and requests for an epidural by 60%. Birth doulas often use the power of touch and massage to reduce stress and anxiety during labor.
What I do as a doula?
- Pre-Natal visit(s) to prepare you for labor and birth
- Assistance with preparation of a Birth Plan that works for you
- Telephone support and advice throughout pregnancy and immediate postpartum
- Suggestions for a more comfortable pregnancy and birth
- Labor and birth positioning suggestions for comfort and labor progress
- Breastfeeding preparation, information and support